Welcome

I am an Xterra athlete and this is where you can follow my racing. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Pages

My Sweet Ride

My Sweet Ride

Friday, June 7, 2013

Return to the Darkside

Well Its been unreal how long it has been since I last posted on my blog...A whole year in fact.  To recap last year in one sentence... I had a very successful year.  Last year I decided to put triathlon racing on hold and focus on bike racing only.  Along with many things through out the year I accomplished the one goal I set for...Winning Mtb Nationals.

With the previous year behind me, My plan this year is to jump back into the world of triathlon racing in the Xterra off road series racing in the Pro division.

 I got the tremendous opportunity to race the Xterra Southeast Championship race in Pelham AL.    I arrived in Atlanta the day before and drove two hrs to Palham just in time to pre ride the course before the sun set.  Never riding my bike east of Colorado I was super excited to explore the trails and see what mountain biking in the south was really about...Not having any expectations I set out riding the course. Trying to visualize the race remembering the sections of the course that i would eat, when i would drink, and sections that I really could do the most damage.  As I rode I could not wipe the smile from my face! The riding was nothing like we have in the west.  Everything was so green, the dirt was like potting soil.  The course had everything from technical root and rocks to fast flowy sections.  When I finished I immediately wanted to go do it again but knew I needed to save it for race day.

The next morning I woke up to pouring rain.  I did my race morning rituals and headed over to the venue.  I set up my transition and instead warming up in the rain as I usually do running, I immediately headed into the water to stay....wet.  The race started and as usual the swim felt anything but comfortable.  Getting a two min lead with the pros from the mass chaos was a nice cushion.  After the first buoy on lap two I started to see white swim caps (fast amateur racers) passing me.  I exited the water step for step with Pro women Shonny Vanlandingham which reassured I didn't fail completely.

With a smooth transition I set off on the bike with a fire under me.  I knew if I wanted to have a good race I'd have to have a phenomenal bike ride.  The rain made every root, rock, and wooden bridge 10x as gnarly..I did my best to balance caution with controlled recklessness.  The first few miles I ran into those fast amateur swimmers and pro women racers.  Once around them I caught good friends Cody Waite and Jason Michalak. After a few motivational words exchanged I continued my ride determined to make up as much time knowing I had to keep motoring to keep making progress. Roughly 1hr and 20 mins on the bike I caught up and rode into T2 with fellow racer and very accomplished pro Brandon Rakita. Coming in with him I knew I was sitting in a good position.  Rarely does he have a bad race...I ended up out of the water in roughly 30th position and exited off the bike in 5th.

Exiting out of T2 onto the run I was in unknown territory.  I was in podium contention!! My legs felt fatigued from the bike but I knew if i wanted to separate from Brandon I'd have to hit it hard right out of the gate.  I went out hard waiting for my "running legs" to come...but they never did.  After going out strong and completing the first of the two laps I put enough time into my pursuer that i could no longer see him...as a result my body was starting to shut down.  I tried to stay in my rhythm but my legs would cramp at the slightest stray from that rhythm.  Every step I would repeat to myself..."5th place=Podium, 6th does not." The thought of standing on that podium is what fueled my motivation to press through the hurt.  On the final lap and with fading legs all I could do was hope I had enough gap between Brandon and myself.  And possibly he was feeling as lousy as I was.

I finished in 5th place in a time of 2:27.23 putting myself on my first Pro Xterra Podium.  I knew by putting a good race together I could be up there.  But just as important I realized my weaknesses and what I need to work on to continue to progress.  Big thanks to my support crew..For my good friends at Enve Composites who give me the tools I need to be competitive.  Im looking forward to the futue and what time has in store....

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment