Welcome

I am an Xterra athlete and this is where you can follow my racing. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Pages

My Sweet Ride

My Sweet Ride

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Las Vegas West Region Championships
































Last year after the Xterra West region Championships i told myself that i would never come back and do that race again!! But this last weekend I was somehow sucked back to that dreaded race... Only this time it was much more enjoyable. I went down with some of my new teammates from roosters/bikersedge.(who are awesome by the way!!!) With a race this early in the season, I was a little apprehensive about racing. As im sure all the racers felt i felt anything but fit. The course started out at a different resort than last year. It was a deep water start in the "pleasant" low 60 degree waters of Lake Las Vegas. With a 3 wave start the pros went first. My wave went second. The first 500 meters went smoothly but my lack of swimming over the winter was very apparent. I soon felt slow and sluggish as the yellow swim caps that were the wave behind me pick me off one by one. After 30 min (which seemed like an eternity) i reached T1. After fumbling to get my wetsuit off and my bike shoes on, i finally got off on the bike and was feeling good. My bike went well, I dont know where i was at after the swim, but i knew i was racing the clock. I set a moderate pace for the first lap, knowing i'd have to save my legs for the run. The second lap i picked it up a bit and put some time into those that were riding with me.
As i came into T2 I had no one in site. The lady on the PA announced that i was the first Age grouper which was a surprise to me. I thought for sure i'd be chasing on the run as well. Knowing I was the first amateur I started out on the run convinced that no one was going to catch me. I used the first half mile to get my running muscles working and set a steady pace. I've never felt so good running off the bike. Usually I get massive craps that prevent me from running the way i know i can. I forced my self to eat on the bike which i think did wonders!!! I ate 2 packs of shot blocks and a flask of EFS. (note to self...eat more on the bike) I didn't see anyone the whole run until the last mile or so. I passed Melanie McQuaid (who was flying by the way) with 1/2 mile left. I finished with a time of 2 hr and 29 Min placing me the top amateur and 16th overall with the pros. What an improvement from last year!! It was a much needed confidence booster, and a good stepping stone for the year. It was nice to see friends and make new ones that have the same love for racing as i do. Despite my many hesitations, I'm happy with where my fitness is this early in the year and with how much training I have done. I look forward to improving and moving forward into a great season.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, I would have loved to come watch you. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete