Welcome

I am an Xterra athlete and this is where you can follow my racing. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Pages

My Sweet Ride

My Sweet Ride

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Beaver Creek Mtn Championships

This past weekend Lynnsey and myself were lucky enough to pack up the van and head to Beaver Creek CO for the Xterra Mtn Champs. After racing here last year and having such a great time I was super stoked to head back. Especially to bring my wife and show her the beautiful Colorado Mountains. Going into this race I was a little nervous, it felt as though it had been an eternity since racing Xterra Moab and really had butterflies for the swim. The race started with what looked likea larger than normal field. And it prove to be just that. I felt there was a lot of battling going on for positions. I held it in my mind to stay strong, not letting anyone disrupt my strid
e. I felt good my first lap but then soon felt my arms and form starting to fade as i got fatigued. I distracted myself like I do every race by telling myself over and over again "JUST GET YOUR ASS ON YOUR BIKE!!".


As always it was a relief to reach dry ground and head out on the bike. Beaver Creek is the perfect bike course for me!! Theres about 1/2 mile of paved road to get situated, grab a drink, and then its up up up 3,600 ft!! I knew if I had any chance i had to hammer on the bike. I felt good once my legs warmed up to the bike, but struggled on the single track to pass the groups of people ahead of me. After the first 5 or so miles the course turned into a steep paved road and i was able to hit it and get away from everyone. About half way through the bike I passed Luna rider, and Xterra World Champion Shonny Vanlandingham who is the coolest lady in Xterra!! She's super fast on the bike, and is someone I really look up to. She always some encouraging words to say as I ride by. Its always one of the highlights of my race to catch up to her and watch her ride!! As I kept riding and about 3 miles to go, I caught "EX" Pro Ryan Ignatz the 1st place amateur and rode into T2 with him. (let me tell you..Ryan is anything but amateur! That dude is quick!!)


Me and World Champ Shonny V >>>>>>

After quickly exchanging my helmet for my running shoes I exited T2 with Ryan and knew it was going to be tough to hang with him. Our pace was quick and i knew with how steep the run was if I i tried to stay with him I would die toward the end. I backed off and let him go which ill admit really hurt my pride. I knew my run wasn't up to par going into the race, but he was on fire and there was nothing i could do to stay with him. I didn't see anyone the rest of the race and just focused on putting one foot infront of the other. One good note I didn't cramp on my run. The last few races I've really had trouble with cramping, I ate a hardy-er breakfast which is something i usually dont do, which I think made
a big difference!! I finished about 1 min down from Ryan, barely missing the top ten- placing 11th overall. My best placing at a Regional Championship. I was happy with my race and how things played out. I defiantly learned a lot of things I can do to improve my race. I look forward to racing in Ogden at Nationals in two months!! I hope I can stay healthy and keep improving!!

A few fun notes: Leaving T1 my right bike shoe felt
VERY awkward!! It felt as though the tongue of my shoe was folded over. The whole race as I kept hitting my shoe hoping to dislodge whatever was putting pressure on my toes. As I finished the bike and ripped my shoe off to my surprise a pack of clif shot bloks fell out! I Rode the whole way with them in my shoe!! I
felt like an idiot!! I was wondering where those went!!:) Also: My wife ran her first 10k this weekend!! She did AWESOME placing 4th overall, 1st in her age group. It was great to watch and yell at her for a change!!
Heading into T2...


The chase begins...



1 comment: